Gymnastics Canada Announces Acrobatic Gymnastics team for 2017 Pan American Championships
OTTAWA, ON (June 28, 2017) – Gymnastics Canada is pleased to announce the acrobatic gymnastics athletes named to the Canadian team for the 2017 Pan American Championships to be held in Daytona Beach, USA from October 10-16, 2017. The athletes were selected following a selection event held at the Oakville Gymnastics Club from June 24th to 25th. This is the first time that Gymnastics Canada has officially named a team to represent Canada at the Pan American Championships in acrobatic gymnastics.
"Our athletes have been working hard all year and it was so rewarding to see them all earn their spot on the Canadian team for the 2017 Pan American Championships,” said Scott Middleton, a coach at the Oakville Gymnastics Club. “We are so excited to be a part of the Canadian delegation heading to Daytona Beach in October and we are thrilled to be travelling with the national rhythmic team as well!"
Hosted by USA Gymnastics, the Pan American Championships are a major continental gymnastics competition for rhythmic and acrobatic gymnasts. The competition is open to teams from member nations of the Pan American Gymnastics Union and includes the following categories for acrobatic gymnastics: Age Group 1 (11-16), Age Group 2 (12-18), Junior (13-19) and Senior (15+). Athletes compete as either a: men’s, women’s, or mixed pair, women’s group (3 gymnasts), or men’s group (4 gymnasts). The routines must include a harmonious combination of choreography, collective acrobatic elements (holds, throws, catches), and individual acrobatic elements (floor acrobatic series), all in perfect synchronisation.
- Age Group 1 Mixed Pair: Mila di Salle, Theo Rotts Chan – Oakville Gymnastics
- Age Group 1 Men’s Pair: Kristian Diana, Maxwell Hendershot – Oakville Gymnastics
- Age Group 1 Women’s Pair: Karyzza Guillermo, Nikki Krigos – Gymnastics Mississauga
- Age Group 1 Women’s Pair: Ava Gokiert, Evelina Merkulov – Calgary Acro
- Age Group 1 Women’s Group: Lola Gray, Piper Lafayette, Cassandra Larner – Oakville Gymnastics
- Age Group 2 Women’s Pair: Mikaela Pingol, Juliana Summer – Oakville Gymnastics
- Age Group 2 Women’s Group: Ashlee Chan, Kiara-Carin Kacvinsky, Kiana Wilson – Oakville Gymnastics
- Age Group 2 Women’s Group: Allison Attard, Emmanuelle Shemko, Ally Swanepoel – Oakville Gymnastics
- Junior Women’s Group: Alexandra D’Souza, Charlotte Penner, Erin Oswald – Oakville Gymnastics
ABOUT GYMNASTICS CANADA
First established in 1969, Gymnastics Canada is the national governing body for the sport of gymnastics in Canada. Gymnastics Canada works closely with the twelve Provincial Federations and the 700 local clubs to provide a broad range of programs and services to meet the needs of all participants. From athlete development, to coaching and judging education, Gymnastics Canada sets the operating standards and practices for the sport in Canada. Our mandate is to promote and provide positive and diverse gymnastics experience through the delivery of quality and safe gymnastics programming. Visit www.gymcan.org for more information, or follow us @CDNgymnastics.
For more information, contact:
Director, Communications and Marketing
Office: 613.748.5637 x 233